Schools, colleges and childcare facilities will be closed in France from next Monday until further notice as part of a nationwide effort to halt the spread of coronavirus Emmanuelle Macro as announced this evening thursday 13 March.
- Macron said that the coronavirus pandemic was France’s worst health crisis in a century.
- All schools, creches and universities throughout France will be closed from Monday.
- In France, sixty-one people have died of the virus. The number of cases was put at 2,876, an increase of 595 cases and 13 deaths from Wednesday.
- Travel bans accelerated around the world on Thursday in response to the coronavirus epidemic, which was officially classed as a “pandemic” by the WHO on Wednesday.
- Italy, which has recorded nearly 15,113 coronavirus cases and 1,016 deaths, remains on a nationwide lockdown.
- The Paris stock market fell by 12.3 percent. In the US, stocks dropped so fast that trading halted for the second time this week.